Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Don't try this at home

I don't know how old you are but I'm definitely past the age where I'll do something that might prompt a trip to the emergency room.
When I was a kid I liked to ride my skateboard down this big hill (coincidentally, the hill was close to a hospital).
There were little pebbles all over the place and inevitably I'd hit one, the skateboard would come to an abrupt halt and I'd fly through the air and land on the gravel, scraping a knee or opening up a big gash on my elbow.
I didn't care. I was a kid.
About ten years ago I was hanging out in Colorado in the summertime. It was the off season but the gondolas were still running and that meant you could take a bike up and then come bombing down the mountain (Cue Jane's Addiction).
The first time I did it, I rode the brakes the whole way down because it was raining a little bit and I didn't want to crash.
I went back to my cabin had a nice tall Vodka Cranberry and then decided to go back up for one last ride down.
Everything went fine until about halfway through when I hit a bump way too fast and went flying through the air.
I got all cut up and destroyed the front wheel of the bike (it was a rental and I had to pay for the damages).
I had to limp the rest of the way down the mountain holding the bike like a wheelbarrow.
I didn't care. I was drunk.
Luckily those days are far behind me now. And there's no way I would ever get on a skateboard without the actual board.
But that's exactly what this cat did:

1 comment:

  1. Well...it's nice to see someone push the envelope and follow what seems to be the next step...sorta thinking this is how the guy did it when he decided that an automobile could be directionally pointed with a wheel instead of a tiller.

    ReplyDelete