Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Admiral's Club

My 1:45 flight had been pushed back to 5pm.

I hate American Airlines. They're pathological liars who will never tell you what's really going on.

Hungover and exhausted I decided to go to the Admiral's club for the same reason some people climb mountains: because it's there.

Sure, it was going to cost me $50 but it was my birthday(not really; my birthday had come and gone but I like to extend my birthday to the length of a massive music festival like Reading or Coachella.)

My fantasy: the Admiral's Club would have swank leather chairs, free booze, hot towels, delicious snacks and maybe even a gym or a Sauna.

The reality: the Admiral's club was like the lobby of a Hilton. It did have lockers to stow your stuff but the snacks consisted of Chex Mix and Coffee, and all the alcohol cost extra. There were free computers but suddenly the $50 price tag seemed quite exorbitant.

I walked around for 15 minutes trying to find something to justify the price.

Maybe there was a home theater with a huge selection of DVD's or a complimentary fortune teller on the premises.

I ended up playing poker online and listening to the guy in the next booth discuss his options portfolio with his broker.

I do admit that when I stepped out of the Admiral's club and back into DFW airport I felt like I was in a giant restroom.

The dirty tiled floors and fluorescent lights brought home why I hate airports and dread getting stuck in them: they're uncomfortable places.

5 comments:

  1. I really like the Admirals Club for three reasons. Firstly, there are American attendants there that can help you with your travel logistics, without the hassle of lines, who seem much more focused on getting you what you need. This is probably because they know that if you are in there, you probably spend a lot of money with American. Secondly, the seats are a lot more comfortable then the ones in the terminal, which appear to be designed to cause back problems. Lastly, and this is critical, it keeps you away from the riff-raff. However, it's not worth $50 for a day pass. The clubs in Europe and Asia do have free booze, and better food, making it much more like what you were expecting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i knew it! Miles Zuniga loves me!!!! lol, :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lol (don't you hate computer speek). I laughed out loud at your blog. Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See now if you weren't hungover and probably more awake...you would have known it was too good to be true! We do share the same love for AA.
    I'll be driving into the DFW area in a few hours.

    ReplyDelete