Saturday, October 17, 2009

Eight Miles High

Some people do very well on marijuana. They function with no problem whatsoever.
Willie Nelson springs to mind.
Bob Marley was stoned every minute of the day, but he was still very productive.
Then there's me.
I like smoking pot best when I'm headed to bed.
That way if I lay there unable to speak with a big goofy grin plastered on my face it wont matter.
Unfortunately, I was headed away from my house when I took the first of many tokes off a big fat spliff.
Things got very strange, very quickly.
I soon felt like I was wrapped in cellophane.
I was floating above the car.
We went down to this big show at the Austin Music Hall.
I soon found myself talking to people but my words were like a tape recording that I was listening to.
I didn't feel like I was doing the talking.
It was unsettling.
I was thinking if I only had a beer that would help bring me back down to Earth.
The lines to the bar were long. I felt like I was waiting to check in to some international flight.
Did I have my ID? What about my passport? No, that's expired...
Will they even let me on the damn plane? I'm so stoned that......wait. I'm not at the airport..
What am I doing here?
I knew I had to get out of that place soon.
Just then Blues Guy took the stage.
Blues Guy is an amazing musician but slow blues played by white people makes me feel I'm having root canal surgery.
I suddenly felt like I had stepped in quicksand. I couldn't move. I was sweating.
His first song seemed to go on forever.
The intro and first verse alone seemed to last fifteen minutes, maybe even longer.
I was growing a beard watching this guy get through his first song.
Now I knew I had to go. I finally just dashed out the door.
My friends had to chase me down.
"Let's get the fuck out of here." I managed to mutter.
I think the key to functioning on pot is to simply smoke it 24/7.
I actually don't know anyone who does it in moderation.
My friends pretty much fall into one of two categories, stoners and non-stoners.
Until I buy that shack down in Negril, I'm going to continue to give Mary Jane a wide berth.

4 comments:

  1. ...sounds like you needed some Ritalin on that occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Miles, let me get this straight. You will smoke lots of pot UNTIl you get to Jamaica? What? Is there a big old rehab down there? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually meant that I will refrain from smoking kind bud until I live in Jamaica. Then I'll smoke it all de time mon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. never mind (as Emily Litella used to say). :)

    ReplyDelete