Thursday, October 22, 2009

Port Aransas Calling

In this day and age where everything seems to be changing so quickly, it's nice to go back to places that have hardly changed at all.
When I was a kid we used to go to Port Aransas almost every weekend.
I remember the blissful afternoons fishing with my dad or playing at the beach.
After I joined a band I got to check out beaches all over the globe and Port Aransas wont be making the list of Conde Naste's 50 greatest beaches anytime soon.
But it remains, for me, an oasis of calm in a world of 24 hour news, 24 hour communication and noise.
The town is still pretty much the same as it was 30 years ago.
Sure, there's a gambling boat and a video store now but overall it's still pretty quiet, especially in the winter.
Tony Scalzo (my partner in crime in Fastball) and I will be doing a little acoustic gig down there tomorrow night at a place called the Back Porch bar.
I don't know how many of you live in Texas, but if you're not doing anything and aren't too far away you should hop in the car and forget about the modern world for about 72 hours.
Come drink some beer, peel some shrimp, walk on the beach or go deep sea fishing.
It might be the best weekend you've had all year.

Aloha,
MILES
www.pabackporchbar.com

1 comment:

  1. I had a Port Aransas. It was called Mastic Beach, LI. What you wrote brought back the memories of a happy, safe childhood. I'm glad you had that too as some people I know cannot relate to it, unfortunately. Have a great time and great show.

    ReplyDelete